portable <span class="highlight">satellite</span> <span class="highlight">tv</span> for c'vans -aust wide coverage

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 22:45
ThreadID: 82594 Views:5895 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. I am looking at the Access system for $499. Has anyone had any experience with this system either good or bad?. Or any other system for under $700. Are they as easy to set up & use as the adverts claim?. Any problems or pitfalls to be wary of?.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 23:13

Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 23:13
The present Optus Aurora satellite system only has 2 commercial channels available. It is due to be phased out in 2013. The new VAST system which has all the new digital channels is supposedly due to be available to travellers soon.
AnswerID: 436495

Reply By: OzTroopie - Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 23:44

Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 23:44
As mentioned above, the Auora service is satellite TV service being phased out and will be replaced by VAST.

For the first time all free-to-air digital television services, including the original three commercial and two national channels, and the new digital services such as ABC2, ABC3, SBS TWO, GO!, 7TWO and ONE HD, will be available to all Australians, no matter where they live (ie. the new channels will be available via satellite for those how do not have access to a terrestrial digital signal)

The VAST service will provide regional viewers with access to the local news currently broadcast in their TV licence area via a dedicated local news channel. It will also provide viewers with access to the ABC’s new 24-hour news.

VAST is an acronym for Viewer Access Satellite Television. The new VAST service will replace the existing Aurora service that currently provides viewer access to ABC, SBS, Imparja and Seven Central. The VAST service will offer the viewer the complete suite of High and Standard Definition channels that were up to now, only available to those living in major towns with digital TV coverage via a digital set top box.

As of now, if you were to purchase a new VAST decoder with smartcard and connect to a satellite dish, you would be able to immediately receive ABC 1,2,3 and the new ABC News 24 channel as well as SBS HD, 2 and 3. Access to these channels is restricted to a two to three month period after which time your smartcard must be registered. Registrations should begin to take place in mid December 2010 (subject to change) and this is providing you live within the Imparja/Seven Central license area.

Note: The VAST service uses a completely different satellite decoder to the Optus Auora service.

Everyone MUST be aware that only those living in the approved TV1 licence area will be able to switch on the commercial channels from the Seven, Nine and Ten networks later this year. Those of you outside the TV1 licence area will not be able to access the commercial channels without going through the black spot approval procedure as switch off occurs in those areas. The onus for activation is the responsibility of the end user and returns can only be accepted in circumstances where the unit is faulty. This information applies to viewers in all states except WA as broadcasters are still in negotiations with regard to the VAST platform in Western Australia.

You can see if you live in the TV1 area by going to:
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_90223

At this stage i am unaware if or how travelers will be able to register for the new VAST service/how long the service would be activated before requiring renewal.

Satplus stock a VAST compatible decoder and associated equipment. I have used some of the info available on their website in this post, but have NO affiliation with them, just impressed by their customer service and ability to answer my questions.

cheers,

Nick
AnswerID: 436496

Follow Up By: OzTroopie - Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 23:54

Saturday, Nov 20, 2010 at 23:54
Just noticed the ExplorOz article on Satellite TV needs to be updated to reflect the changes the VAST system will bring, no point encouraging people to go down the Optus Auora smartcard path if it's going to be phased out.

Here's the link to the Minister's January 2010 announcement of the new VAST satellite tv service CLICK HERE
FollowupID: 707825

Follow Up By: OzTroopie - Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 00:03

Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 00:03
To answer your question RE price, you can get a full kit ready to receive the VAST signal for $535. This includes, satellite decoder, satellite dish, stand, some cable, and a signal meter. There may be some connectors/extra cable you need to suit your exact application.

Have a look HERE to see if this package would suit your needs. There may be cheaper companies around the place, other forumites should be able to jump in with suggestions.

Remember, you'll need to check how the registration for travelers will work/ if travelers will be given access to the VAST service. You can contact the Government's Digital Switchover Taskforce . Last i heard was that they hadn't yet decided, it may have changed since.

FollowupID: 707827

Follow Up By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:02

Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:02
Hi Nick

Slightly off topic, but would such televisions be aby good when one lives extremely remote and can only get Foxtel via a Satellite dish. Obviously I am asking this selfishly, as we do not get any commercial channels at all.

Cheers
Why travel overseas, you could travel Australia your entire life, and not see it all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 707833

Follow Up By: OzTroopie - Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:24

Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:24
Hi Marc,

I enjoy reading your posts on life living in and around the Mulan Community, top end of CSR and the Tanami.

Under the new system (VAST), people like you living in remote areas will be entitled to access the system - and get access to all the new channels (not sure if you're aware but channels like 7,9 and 10 now offer three separate channels - so if you don't like what's showing on one, you can check the others). Here in Adelaide, we're gone from having 5 free to air channels, to something like 20.

Currently, anyone in the TV1 area can activate the service (the TV1 area is pretty much anywhere in Remote and Eastern Australia (away from the major cities and towns which broadcast a terrestrial signal). The TV1 area does not include anywhere in WA.

WA broadcasters are still in negotiations with the Government in regards to the VAST platform in Western Australia. I would assume they'll eventually give you access if you live in a remote area, away from a city/town that broadcasts a terrestrial signal.

Keep in mind you won't be able to use your Foxtel box to access VAST, and will need a new decoder. Still, for what you'll get it'll be worth the price.

The simplest way for them to do it would be to add the new channels to your Foxtel, but you know how unfriendly the Pay TV people are when it comes to Free2Air. ABC is about as good as it gets when trying to watch Free2Air on Foxtel.

Safe Travels,

Nick
FollowupID: 707834

Follow Up By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:56

Sunday, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:56
Hi again Nic

We don't even get ABC, nor any of the HD Channels, basically we have the standard Foxtel Documentaries, TV1 and a couple of others. I guess in another way we are lucky, as not having many decent shows means we don't switch the television on much, and have heaps of quality family time.

I do hope that the Government gets into action soon, but the may live up to the true definition of the initials WA, (Wait Awhile).

Cheers
Why travel overseas, you could travel Australia your entire life, and not see it all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 707835

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:17

Monday, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:17
Marc,

You should buy another dish and sat receiver and point it at Optus D1. There is all FTA ABC,1,2,3,24 and SBS,1,2,HD from all the different timezones FTA! You'll need a HD receiver to pick up ABC24 and of course SBS HD.

Leroy
FollowupID: 707967

Sponsored Links